Monday 13 June 2016

The Limestone cliffs of Phi Phi Leh


The plan was to complete my soft pastel painting of "Niagara Falls" which I started a few days
back. However I changed my decision as I felt I needed a little more "Analyzing and Planning"
in order to handle certain elements in the painting.

Therefore I went ahead and completed another of my "Phi Phi Leh" series art work. I 
encountered this scene while touring the island in the Long Tail Boat. At one particular turn,
this scene was so amazingly beautiful that I immediately captured it on my mobile. 

The image quality on the mobile did not have much clarity but since I was there and had seen and 
observed it all, I applied my own interpretation and creativity to recreate this scene on Canson Mi 
Teintes paper. The sparkling aquamarine waters and the tall limestone cliffs added so much
beauty to the atmosphere.


The Limestone Cliffs
Soft Pastel painting on Canson paper
Size 6.5" X 8.5"

Before I started the above painting I created a small "Thumbnail sketch" Canson paper.
A thumbnail sketch works like a guideline to help me follow a particular colour pattern, 
the composition, form and shape etc. I do make changes as and when necessary. Creating a 
"Study work" before proceeding with the actual artwork has now become a habit with me and
it helps a lot as I rarely have to discard a painting midway.

Thumbnail sketching of a scene from Phi Phi Leh, by Manju Panchal

Thumbnail sketch
Size 3.5" X 4.5"

Ending with some beautiful words on nature, 

"I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery - air, mountain, trees, people. I thought,
"This is what is to be happy."  Sylvia Plath. The Bell Jar       Courtesy buzzfeed.com

I get inspired by beautifully written quotes and thoughts so I share them on the blog. Some days
we are all self motivated and on other days we look for inspiration.

I am conducting a two days workshop in charcoal as well as soft pastel medium in the last week
of this month ie June 2016. To read more about it CLICK HERE.

4 comments: