Friday 27 May 2016

The shadow at the beach - A soft pastel painting


"An artist must have his measuring tools not in the hand, but in the eye." Michelangelo

Simple quote that speaks a volume. All the painting starts in the mind itself. The eyes
see it all. The observation gets sharper and better with time.

I recently created a beach scene from Bamboo island ( Thailand ), using the charcoal medium.
The place was so full of colours that I could not resist myself from creating a soft pastel
painting of the same.

Therefore using my cleaned up Soft pastel palette I went ahead to recreate this memorable
scene using vibrant shades of blues and greens. The water of the ocean, changed colours from
green to shades of blue, as it receded towards the horizon.

I titled this painting "The light and the shadow" as the source of light played a predominant
role in the painting. Another appealing factor to me in this particular scene was the rocks that
were so clearly visible under the crystal clear waters.


The light and the shadow
Soft pastel painting on Canson Mi Teintes paper
Size 6.5" X 8"

I spent my childhood years close to the sea. Hence the affinity is pretty strong. It brings back
sweet memories. The love for the sea and seashore continues to exist but now I am into admiring 
the beauty of nature. Using my creativity and imagination, I am busy trying to capture it live on a blank piece of paper so that I can hear the sea waves splashing at the shore. The sound of the
waves in a continuous rhythm is so relaxing to the mind.

Having completed this painting my latest resolution is to add a few more "Seashore paintings" to 
my " To do" list. 


2 comments:

  1. beautiful shadows, textures and mood! really well rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Meera. I am glad that you loved my work. I am planning to create a few
    more beach paintings in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete