Tuesday 20 October 2015

Soft Pastel Workshop - Matheran Landscape

The soft pastel painting below is a demo work that I did recently in my Two Days Soft Pastel workshop. It is with reference to my photograph from Matheran Hill station which has been a quick getaway for us on many different occasions. 

soft pastel painting of a landscape by Manju Panchal

The muddy pathway
Soft pastel painting on Canson paper
Size 6" X 8"

When I do a demo work like the one above my aim is to simplify the scene by looking at the general shapes of elements and the colours. The foliage is painted as one big mass and then a few leaves are added to give a suggestion of leaves. The basic idea is to get the participants started with a complicated forest painting and to understand the step by step procedure that I follow.

If it were not for the demo I would have spent a minimum of three hours on this work, getting to the fine details in the foreground. I have used the same photograph to create a charcoal painting in one of my Two Days Charcoal Workshop. Will be posting the image soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment