Thursday 18 January 2018

Creating soft pastel thumbnail sketches

"The only source of knowledge is experience."Albert Einstein

Before starting off with the pastel painting, I always do a few thumbnail sketches or study works on small cut outs of Canson Mi Teintes paper. 

It is my way of doing a preliminary study of a complicated subject. By creating these small works using limited palette of pastels, I am able to simplify the scene by understanding the value masses, the composition, the additions and subtractions. If I am happy with the small sketch and if it looks good to me, then I go ahead and follow the same steps when I am recreating the work in a bigger format. Many a times I create more than one thumbnail sketch of the same subject in order to try out different compositions.

Follow my latest works and techniques on INSTAGRAM and if you love my works and they inspire you, share them with your friends.

Soft Pastel thumbnail sketch/study work by Manju Panchal

Thnumbnail sketch, 3.5" X 5"
Sikkim

Soft Pastel thumbnail sketch/study work by Manju Panchal

Thnumbnail sketch, 4" X 5" 
Dubare Forest, Coorg

Soft Pastel thumbnail sketch/study work by Manju Panchal

Thumbnail sketch, 3" X 4.5"
Sikkim

Thank you for browsing through my artworks and if you are interested in joining me in my upcoming workshops do drop in a mail to me at manjupanchal5@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment