Friday 5 December 2014

Using Willow charcoal for creating a landscape sketch

Purchased willow charcoal, ( Made in China ) quite some time back. Never really got to try it. Have been doing a lot of soft pastel landscapes recently. Therefore to avoid reaching saturation level decided to do one of my next subjects in willow charcoal and Camel charcoal pencil. Its more of a study work, something like a rough sketch to get an idea about the composition and values. I did not spend more than forty minutes on this one.

This landscape scene is a small part of a big photograph taken at KARNALA Bird Sanctuary. I normally edit and while editing, crop the photograph and take only the part which I find interesting. The sunlight created some beautiful shadows on the road and I would love to do this painting in soft pastels soon.

Charcoal painting of Karnala Bird Sanctuary landscape by Manju Panchal

The Shadow
Charcoal sketching on cartridge paper

Using willow charcoal is a new experience for me and it will take a little time to get used to it but I quite enjoyed using it as it helps to do a quick study work. It looks pretty dark when applied on paper but the moment we smudge it with fingers it gets absolutely light. Hence I used Camel charcoal pencil to create the darker lines and shadings.
willow charcoal
Willow Charcoal set



No comments:

Post a Comment